Household Hazardous Waste

Dispose of Hazardous Waste & Chemicals 

Did you know that hazardous chemicals that are improperly disposed of, such as used motor oil, insecticides, pesticides, paint, solvent, can contaminate our drinking water?

Polluted water can also have many adverse effects on plants, fish, animals and people. Polluted water affects drinking water sources, which can also increase drinking water treatment costs.

The City of Elgin encourages all citizens to immediately report any type of illegal dumping or chemical spill into the ground or sewers, by calling 911 or the non-emergency police telephone number 847-289-2700.

Residents can safely dispose of hazardous chemicals such as oil-based paint, pesticides, pool chemicals, sealants, and more free of charge! Simply call the Household Hazardous Waste Hotline at 800-HHW-PKUP (449-7587) to arrange to have these items picked up from your home. That’s right, you don’t even have to leave your house!

In order to better assist you, please take an inventory of the type and amount of material you have to dispose of prior to calling the hotline. Home collections are generally limited to one per year. Collections are scheduled on a first come, first served basis.

Residents who are moving should call for an appointment at least 30 days prior to their scheduled move date. Be sure to check out the helpful hints section below for more tips on properly disposing of hazardous chemicals.

Need to get rid of household hazardous waste quickly?

Elgin residents can dispose of hazardous waste items free of charge (including unused prescription medications) at following location:

Naperville Hazardous Waste Drop-Off Center

156 Fort Hill Drive Naperville, 60540

Hours: 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m, every Saturday and Sunday (except holidays).

Note: Latex paint is not accepted at the drop-off center.

View information on recycling fluorescent bulbs.